tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 20:13:48 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

Doq wrote:
> It's clear I'm a minority of one here, and I generally don't encourage
> people to be minorities of one. I'm a little torn, because I
> definitely think this horse looks pretty dead to me, and I'm tired of
> kicking it, but I also think that people take the word {ghoS} too
> generally, thinking of it as a generic "go" word, when Okrand really
> seems to want to give it a relationship to a path that is genuinely
> alien to any human word.

Be careful about applying the Okrand-wanted-this-to-be-alien idea. It
can be over-applied.

In this instance, /ghoS/ expresses an idea that can be found in some
human languages via the perlative case
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlative_case>.

> That's the alien part. It's not the way we humans think.

Sure it is. We don't have a noun case for it in English, but we have
several perfectly good prepositions that do the job: "along," "through,"
"across," not to mention "on," "in," "over," "under," and some others
when dealing with the right prepositional object.

 > My path is not a marker after which one would name your path.

Sure it is! My path marks the starting point of your path. Your path is
a ray starting at /HewIj/ and going /-vo'/.

      ^

      | HewIj
      |
      |        HewIjvo'
  SoH O------------------>

      O jIH

> {jIHvo' yIghoS!} would probably be closer to what you really mean,
> since you name paths after points on the path, or after a name the
> path has itself. It seems weird to name a path after a different path
> that has only one intersection point.

A path can be defined by a point and a vector. That's exactly what
/HewIjvo' yIghoS/ does.

> I had hoped it would spark interesting ideas rather than simply bother
> people, which seems to have been its only effect.

pagh DanuQpu'. maQoch neH.

--
SuStel
Stardate 9421.3