tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 07:11:42 2009

RE: -qa' with -taH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

bI'reng:
>> Does {tIH bachqa'taHbogh Hov} suggested repeated intervals?

lay'tel SIvten:
>> My impression is that {-qa'} means resumption (after a pause), not so
>> much repetition.

bI'reng:
>That's how I read {-qa'} too, but I think there's an argument for
>thinking of {-qa'} + {-taH} as repetition.
>
>--- TKD 42: ---
>The meaning of {-taH} can be seen clearly by comparing the following
>two commands:
>
>- {yIjun} execute an evasive maneuver!
>- {yIjuntaH} take evasive action!
>
>In the first case, the maneuver is to be executed only once. In the
>second, a series of evasive maneuvers is to be executed -- the action
>is to be continuous.
>--- end quote ---
>
>Consider:
>- {yIjunqa'} execute an evasive maneuver again!

"Execute another evasive maneuver! [Do it again!]"

>- {yIjunqa'taH} keep executing evasive maneuvers again! (?)

Based on TKD 42, I would think {-qa]} is redundant: {yIjuntaH} "Keep executing evasive maneuvers! [until we destroy that petaQ!]"

>But then we get some ambiguity with {-vIS}:
>{qaHoHqa'taHvIS, bIjachqu'taH}
>
>Does this mean "You will scream while I'm killing you once again" or
>"You will scream while I kill you over and over again"? If we accept
>{-qa'taH} as denoting repetition, it will be ambiguous.

Just to throw this into the mix... consider these lines from the Anthem (Qoy qeylIS puqloD):

  batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the
   Black Fleet where we battle forever.   (Anthem)

  mamevQo'.  maSuvtaH.  ma'ov.
  Battling on through the eternal fight.  (Anthem)

Does this imply one eternal never-ending battle in the Afterlife (no one wins, no one loses) or an eternal series of battles (you win some, you lose some)?  Or both?

Note particularly {maSuvtaHqu'}.  {-taHqu'} has only been used one other place IIRC:

  qIrq wItlha'taHqu'
  Where Kirk goes, we follow.  ST5

--
Voragh