tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 11:16:48 2009

RE: {vIl} (was Re: News from Maltz)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghunchu'wI':
>> 1) The noun {vIlle'} means something close to "minion".
>>
>> Here is a direct quote from Marc Okrand: "A {vIlle'}, on the other
>> hand, is definitely someone you want to have around -- a follower,
>> disciple, fan, admirer, minion."
>>
>> 2) The noun {vIl} is hard to define.  Maltz had given a
>> description of something which was immediately recognized as a
>> speed bump by everyone present, but it was apparently intended
>> not as an actual definition but as an example of something
>> which is "just there".  There is obviously an etymological
>> relationship with and {vIlle'}, which is currently the best
>> clue we have to its true meaning.

Quvar:
>Okay, I think this confirms the literal meaning of {vIl le'}, a "special
>vIl", i.e. a special person that's always around you opposed to someone
>unimportant.

IOW a "somebody" vs. a "nobody", perhaps.  E.g. Q: "Who's he?"  A:"Don't mind him; he's nobody."  (Or as the old song puts it:  "You're nobody 'til somebody loves you. You're nobody 'til somebody cares.")

>So can I understand that {vIl} is a person? There are many things around
>me... To make a more grammatical question: what's the plural of {vIl}?

As I understand it {vIl} can be either a thing or a person, so the plural is either {vIlmey} or {vIlpu'} depending on context.  (BTW we've seen this ambiguity before with the nouns {pagh} "nothing; no one" and {vay'} "something, anything; someone, anyone".)

If ghunchu'wI's version of Okrand's explanation is anything to go on, {vIl} seems to refer to people most often, though Okrand's example of a speed bump shows {vIl} can also refer to things.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level