tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 08:59:16 2009

RE: Similies - <sentence expressing quality>; <noun phrase> rur

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel:
>That's not right either. If we're to stick strictly to the form Okrand
>uses for similes, it's
>
>	 <sentence with verb of quality>; <noun phrase> rur
>not
>  	 <any sentence>; <noun phrase> rur
>
>In other words, the purpose of the simile is to compare the *quality* of
>something with a noun phrase that inherently has that quality.
>
>    The first [sentence] attributes a quality to someone or something;
>    the second makes use of the verb {rur} ("resemble") to link the
>    quality to something that presumably epitomizes the quality.
>    (KGT, p. 27)
>
>{pe'} is not a verb that expresses a quality; it expresses an action. So
>unless you want to describe the *quality* of the tubers, a simile is not
>the right tool.

For review, here's a list of known Klingon similes:

ram; ghIlab ghew rur
trivial as a glob fly

let mInDu'Daj; Separmey rur
Her eyes are hard; they resemble separ
[Her eyes are as hard as separ-stones.]

HoSghaj; mupwI' rur
powerful as a hammer

bIr; bortaS rur
cold as revenge.

puj; bIQ rur
weak as water.

HoS; 'Iw rur
strong as blood.

'oj; bomwI' rur
thirsty as a singer.

ghung; qagh rur
hungry as gagh.

jeD; ghevI' rur
thick as qagh sauce.

mIgh; molor rur
evil as Molor.

ngo'; QI'tu' rur
old as Qui'Tu.

qan; QI'tu' rur
He/she is as old as Qui'Tu.

qej; veqlargh rur
mean as Fek'lhr.

quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur
dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor.

wov; ghI'boj Sech rur
bright as the Torch of G'boj.

jej; Daqtagh rur
sharp as a d'k tahg.

jejHa'; naH taj rur
dull as a vegetable knife.

lo'laHbe'; chetvI' chIm rur
worthless as an empty torpedo tube.

yuD; jey'naS rur
dishonest as a double-headed ax.

yuDHa'; ghIt rur
honest as an ax head (or, honest as an open hand)

Dogh; tIghla' rur foolish as a t'gla. tlhIb; toppa' rur incompetent as a topah. bIt; tI'qa' vIghro' rur nervous as a tika cat. [corrected] tun; reghuluS 'Iwghargh rur soft as a Regulan bloodworm. naS; norgh rur vicious as a norg. tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH rur free (independent) as a forest animal ["though this refers to how or where any animal lives rather than to a specific animal" (KGT 132)]. 'up; yIH rur disgusting as a tribble. matlhHa'; romuluSngan rur disloyal as a Romulan. qur; verengan rur greedy as a Ferengi. wIH; Hur'Iqngan rur ruthless as a Hur'q. Hoj; tera'ngan rur cautious as a Terran. Hem; tlhIngan rur proud as a Klingon. nong; vulqangan rur passionate as a Vulcan (ironic) tam; Hew rur quiet as a statue. val; Huy' rur clever as an eyebrow. lugh; Sor rur correct as a tree. 'IQ; rav rur sad as a floor. Sagh; Ho''oy rur serious as a toothache. boch; ghIch rur shiny as a nose. yeb Darur You resemble a wrist [an insult (KGT 166)]. KGT - Doq 'ej Qaj wuS rur be orange/red and resemble kradge lips. ["The lips of the kradge are presumably a particular shade of brown."] (BBS 2/98) - puj verengan; bIQ rur the Ferengi is as weak as water (HQ 13.1:9)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level