tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 08:39:42 2009

RE: 'oQqar pe'pu'bogh; naQHommey rur ghIq mIQpu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

qe'San (Jon Brown) wrote:
>> What I'd like to know is, does anyone understand my following sentence:
>> 'oQqar pe'pu'bogh; naQHommey rur.  ghIq mIQpu'

SuStel:
> naQHommey means "minor sticks," whatever those are. -Hom does not mean
> "small."

SuStel is right in that we shouldn't automatically prefer it to {mach} "be small", but {-Hom} can mean "small" or "little" in some contexts:

KGT 74-5:  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. [...] Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind. The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it does, it is termed {mupwI'Hom} (literally, "small striker"). A plain stick is a {naQHom} (literally, "small cane" or "small staff").

KGT 152:  ... its slang usage is no doubt influenced by the noun suffix {-Hom}, a diminutive that adds a meaning of smallness or lack of importance (compare {taj} ["knife"] and {tajHom} ["little knife", the extra small blade in the handle of a d'k tahg knife]).

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level