tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 19 17:34:22 2009

Re: Alternatives to Code2000 PUA Klingon Font

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 20 Jul 2009, at 00:08, Thorwald Peeters wrote:

> I have not seen anyone discuss Linux, other than qa'vaj.
>
> I'm using Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 - Latest stable), and am using
> FontyPython to
> fool the system into believing they are installed.
>
> FontyPython recognises two fonts in each folder, one of which (the
> ._<fontname> one) it declares broken.

I believe the ._<fontname> is some sort of artifact of the Mac OS. I
don't see these in XP under Parallels or on the Mac. Anyway, I've only
included ONE font in the folder, so ignore the ._<fontname> thing.
That's one of those "out of my control" things. :-)

> using the other one and going through the simple process of adding
> it to a
> "pog", and then installing the "pog", I am able to choose the fonts,
> but
> not to use them...

OK, that doesn't mean anything to me.

> That is to say: When I choose them, the glyphs do not change to
> klingon
> ones... Not sure what to do to change that, but I'll keep
> investigating.
> The files themselves seem ok...

The glyphs won't change to Klingon because Klingon letters are mapped
to Private Use code points, not to the Latin letters.

> I just found that I installed a program called "FontForge" as well,
> and
> will send the error report I got from loading HaSta' to Michael?

Fontforge is a font making program. I think it is free. I never used
it. I use Fontographer and FontLab.