tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 18 19:00:26 2009

Re: tlhIngan Hol vItIv 'ach bong Qaghmey vIgher

Doq ([email protected])

I remember how interesting it was the first time I realized that the
words "and" and "but" have the same objective meaning, though the
subjective layer is completely different.

I went to the store but I didn't find what I wanted.

I went to the store and I didn't find what I wanted.

In terms of "facts" or logic, they mean exactly the same thing. In
both cases, I went to the store. In both cases, I didn't find what I
wanted. "But" marks an exception to ones expectation, intent or
preference. "And" doesn't.

They feel completely different, but/and they mean exactly the same
thing.

Doq

On Jul 15, 2009, at 8:17 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2009, at 6:49 PM, qe'San ((Jon Brown)) wrote:
>
>> The overall feeling I want to get across is "I enjoy the Klingon
>> language.. and tthis is despite the fact that I keep making
>> mistakes along the way"
>
> tlhIngan Hol vItIvtaH, 'e' nISbe' QaghmeywIj.
>
>> Is there a way to express things like "even though", "even when",
>> "despite" in Klingon or even work arounds to get that across?
>
> How does {'ach} "but" not work for your meaning?
>
> I once translated "Everyone welcome -- even Klingons" as something
> like {Hoch DIlaj; tlhIngan DIlaj je}, repeating the verb.  If you
> want to try to capture the "even when" phrasing, maybe you could say
> {tlhIngan Hol vItIv, 'ej tlhIngan Hol vItIv jIQaghDI'.}
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level