tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 10:55:11 2009

RE: tlhIngan Hol vItIv 'ach bong Qaghmey vIgher

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> > Is there a way to express things like "even though", "even when",
> > "despite" in Klingon or even work arounds to get that across?
>
> How does {'ach} "but" not work for your meaning?

I didn't see any of the canon working as "even though".

> I once translated "Everyone welcome -- even Klingons" as something
> like {Hoch DIlaj; tlhIngan DIlaj je}, repeating the verb.  If you
> want to try to capture the "even when" phrasing, maybe you could say
> {tlhIngan Hol vItIv, 'ej tlhIngan Hol vItIv jIQaghDI'.}

I do like this one.  And we know that it is not uncommon for klingon to be repetitive.
An interesting note is how you are using "and(/also)" instead of "but" to convey "even/even though".

DloraH

Back to archive top level