tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 12 15:47:27 2009

Re: vIl - be ridgy in HolQeD 13:1

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>

> In a message dated 7/12/2009 15:01:07 Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> Yes, it would be odd for Humans to talk about smooth foreheads amongst
>> themselves. It's a forehead.
>> Klingons may or may not have spoken about forehead quality back in the
>> time of Kahless, but once they met non-Klingons, and *especially* after a
>> large number of them "lost" their foreheads, the topic most certainly
>> would
>> have come up.
>>

>> On the other hand, Ferengi talk about lobe size a lot. So maybe Klingons
>> have always talked about their foreheads.
>>

> There is a lot of variation in Klingon forehead ridginess, so it would
> probably be a topic in any case.
>
> lay'tel SIvten

SaQochbe'

I also think that it's so right that the word we were given was the verb
ridgy and not a noun for ridge/s.. Discussing their foreheads they would
discuss them as a quality in relation to what was normal to them... At the
time of Kahless that would have been ridged.   So I still personally believe
that the Klingon word for forehead would to any Klingon imply one with
ridges even during the period of the augment virus when they had smooth
ones..  I'm not suggesting I don't believe that Quch doesn't generally mean
smooth or any other type of forehead just that it's natural implication is a
ridged one.

The fact that they have a curse for a smooth forehead indicates to me that
smooth is not the usual quality. I'd like to fantasise that it dates back to
when either the augment virus started or when it was being cured. If the
curse was about the mother being non-Klingon then there would be more direct
curses I could think of and I'm sure they would have also..

But that is just my fantasy

qe'San

Back to archive top level