tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 17:10:47 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ghunchu'wI'" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: Questions with law'/puS

> On Jul 7, 2009, at 2:59 PM, qe'San ((Jon Brown)) wrote:
>
>> Using "who?" an observer of the classic joke migh just ask a fellow
>> observer:
>>
>>        'Iv Doy' law' Hoch Doy' puS, qama' 'avwI' ghap Dangu'
>
> I think you want the imperative prefix {yI-} instead of {Da-}.  I
> also think {per} "label, specify, ascertain" might be a better verb
> here than {ngu'} "identify".

I was thinking of the nuH DaneHbogh yIngu' "Which weapon do you want?" use
on p105 KGT
and that also says I should use the imperitive but I think you are correcta
nd {per} would be better.

         'Iv Doy' law' Hoch Doy' puS, qama' 'avwI' ghap yIper

>> And if that construction works then a "what?" construction might be:
>>
>>         nuq nom law' Hoch nom puS,  qIvo'rIt qItI'nga ghap Dangu'
>
> There's no verb meaning "be fast".  {nom} "quickly" is an adverbial.
> You'd have to rephrase the question as something like this:

One of those times when I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was
actually there.

I assume the principle of what I tried is sound even if the words weren't?

        nuq nIv law' Hoch nIv puS,  qIvo'rIt qItI'nga ghap yIper

>   nuq Do' tIn law' Hoch tIn puS?
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level