tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 12:10:04 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]> Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 4:12 AM
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Doq<[email protected]> wrote:
>> jIH val law' SoH val puS, qar'a'?
>
> I thought about it, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's not quite what
> I'm looking for.  You appear to be stating ahead of time a belief that
> the answer to the question is yes.
>
> "X is better than Y, right?"
>
> I was looking for a more neutral
>
> "Is X better than Y?"
>
> But I'm assuming we don't actually have a way to say that.  Do'Ha'.

Could you get nearer to this with what I hope means "what/who's Q-est out of X or Y?"

Using "who?" an observer of the classic joke migh just ask a fellow observer:

       'Iv Doy' law' Hoch Doy' puS, qama' 'avwI' ghap Dangu'

And if that construction works then a "what?" construction might be:

        nuq nom law' Hoch nom puS,  qIvo'rIt qItI'nga ghap Dangu'

to which the answer might be:

        qItI'nga nom law' qIvo'rIt nom puS

or in speech just

        qItI'nga

I know it's not a Yes/No question but possibly a more Klingon approach assuming it's ok.

>> Doq
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>>> Do we know how to turn a law'/puS statement into a yes/no question,
>>> e.g. "is X more Y than Z?"
>>> --
>>> Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>
>>
> --