tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 14:14:07 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 7, 2009, at 2:59 PM, qe'San ((Jon Brown)) wrote:

> Using "who?" an observer of the classic joke migh just ask a fellow
> observer:
>
>        'Iv Doy' law' Hoch Doy' puS, qama' 'avwI' ghap Dangu'

I think you want the imperative prefix {yI-} instead of {Da-}.  I
also think {per} "label, specify, ascertain" might be a better verb
here than {ngu'} "identify".

> And if that construction works then a "what?" construction might be:
>
>         nuq nom law' Hoch nom puS,  qIvo'rIt qItI'nga ghap Dangu'

There's no verb meaning "be fast".  {nom} "quickly" is an adverbial.
You'd have to rephrase the question as something like this:

   nuq Do' tIn law' Hoch tIn puS?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level