tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 04 12:23:15 2009

Re: Comments sought on Klingon poem

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Well, literally, yes.  But I was going by this bit from Okrand:

Z: Can we use the suffix –ghach on a naked stem?
MO: The answer is yes and no – and I'll elaborate so I don't leave it
at that. In general no (this is my understanding from Maltz). As far
as I can tell –ghach is at least at first blush restricted to a
position following a verb suffix of another type which means 1 through
8 because it's a nine.
Z: Or a rover?
MO: Absolutely. I personally have never heard a Klingon say
tlhutlhghach. On the other hand, throw in the –taH as we were saying
earlier and you have tlhutlhtaHghach, which means ongoing drinking or
the process of continuing drink, which is just fine but the English
translation overemphasizes the "continuing" part. Because in English
it's a separate word or phrase as opposed to just a little suffix like
it is in Klingon. So as a result of the translation it takes on a
little more oomph than it has.

So, technically continuous, but as Okrand says, that translation
over-emphasizes the continuous part.

A more important question, perhaps, is: can stative verbs take <-taH>??

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:59, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Christopher Doty wrote:
>> Based on my rereading of the HolQeD bit from Okrand, how would folks
>> feel about: <qIjtaHghach>?
>
> "Continuous blackness."
>
> --
> SuStel