tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 04 11:24:42 2009

Re: Comments sought on Klingon poem

Christopher Doty wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 06:29, Agnieszka Solska <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> 1. chenmoHbogh Qun HoH tlhingan tiqpu'.
>>> 2. 'ej 'u' lumeQpu' tiq.
>>> 3. qulvo' Hov
>>> 4. qIjghach je
>>> 5. chenmoHpu' tiq. DaHjaj,
>> I'm not sure if {qulvo' Hov qIjghach je chenmoHpu' tiq}
>> is a good way of expressing the idea that "The Klingon
>> hearts turned the heavens to ashes.". Literally, it says
>> "From fire, i.e. from where the fire was, the hearts made
>> a star and blackation."
>
> And for "blackation," I would have this as "blackness." The emails
 > about <-ghach> that went around earlier made me think that "-ness"
 > is an often acceptable English equivalent for it.  I'll go look at
 > that again, though.

'ISqu' translated this as "blackation" to evoke the marked sense that
the Klingon word {qIjghach} has. {-ghach} is not usually supposed to
appear on a verb without an intervening suffix. A speaker only does so
for effect: the equivalent of coining a word you know isn't legitimate
and making air quotes while you say it. Okrand goes into detail about
this in an issue of HolQeD.

Whether poetic license would allow use of this device whenever you feel
like it is best left up to Klingon poets. I can only imagine that one
should restrain oneself.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH