tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 12:33:53 2009

RE: Transitivity of <mev> and <tagh>

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Christopher Doty wrote:
>>> And with <tagh>, does it occur in a sentence-as-object construction?
>>> If not, how is it used in canon sources?

Voragh:
>{tagh}  "begin a process, initiate (proceedings)" [TKDA]:
>
>taghbej mu'qaD veS
>Curse-warfare has definitely begun. PK
>
>Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw
>When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. TKW
>
>DaH petagh!
>[Begin now! (untranslated)] (ENT "Affliction")

Since {tagh} is transitive, I don't see any reason why it can't be used in a SAO construction.  I suspect we don't see examples with {... 'e' tagh} because we have the useful suffix {-choH} "change in state/direction":

TKD 37:  Suffixes of this type indicate that the action described by the verb involves a change of some kind from the state of affairs that existed before the action took place.
  maDo'choH
   we are becoming lucky
   we are undergoing a turn of luck
  ghoSchoH
   he is beginning to go (somewhere)
The implication of the second example is that he or she was going either nowhere or somewhere else sometime before the phrase was uttered. Note that the translation of this suffix may be English "become" or "begin to".

maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'
May we execute a course (to some place)? TKD

yItamchoH
Be quiet! (Become quiet!) TKD

Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
This helmet suits you. TKD

ghorgh tujchoHpu' bIQ
When will the water be hot? TKD

nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD

tujqu'choH QuQ
The engine is overheating. TKD

yItamchoH!
[Be quiet!] KCD

maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'
If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

bIrchoH SuvwI' 'Iw
The blood of the warrior grows cold. PK

notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH
War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj
The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW

'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH
Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for. TKW

vulchoHbe' tlhInganpu'
Klingons do not faint. TKE

ropchoHbe' tlhInganpu'
Klingons do not get sick. TKW

qanchoHpa' qoH, Hegh qoH
Fools die young. TKW

wa' SuvwI' muHlu'DI', tuHchoH Hoch SuvwI'pu'
The execution of but one warrior brings shame to all. TKW

bIboH. yIjotchoH
You're impatient. Calm down! KGT

laS veghaS HIltonDaq <Hov leng: yIjeSchu'> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton. STX

DoqchoH
redden ["literally become red or change to red)" (HQ 12.4:9)]

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level