tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 06:28:30 2009

RE: Transitivity of <mev> and <tagh>

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Christopher Doty wrote:
>> I'm wondering if <mev> is transitive or intransitive, or either?

SuStel:
>Both have been used both ways. I'm sure Voragh will provide all the
>relevant examples, but examples for {mev} include:
>
>    bIjatlh 'e' yImev
>    Shut up!
>
>    not mev peghmey
>    Secrets never cease.

Both can take an object.

{mev}  "stop, cease" (v.):

jImev
I stop. KLS

mev
[someone] stops KGT

yImev!
Stop! (to an individual) KGT

pemev!
Stop! (to a group) KGT

mevmoH
cause [someone] to stop (KGT 154)

not mev peghmey
Secrets never cease. PK

SSS... mev!  ba'!
Do not do that! Sit! PK

bIjatlh 'e' yImev
Shut up! (Stop speaking!) PK

bIleS 'e' yImev
Stop relaxing! Stop resting! PK

bIyev 'e' yImev
Stop breaking! Stop pausing! PK

bIDum 'e' yImev
Stop napping! PK

Sop 'e' mev
Stop eating! PK

bIjatlh 'e' yImev. yItlhutlh!
Stop talking! Drink! TKW

mevQo'!
Don't stop! SAREK

mamevQo'.  maSuvtaH.  ma'ov.
Battling on through the Eternal fight. (Anthem)

yImev, yap!
Stop! It is enough! KGT

>> And with <tagh>, does it occur in a sentence-as-object construction?
>> If not, how is it used in canon sources?

>I don't remember the examples for {tagh} offhand.

{tagh}  "begin a process, initiate (proceedings)" [TKDA]:

taghbej mu'qaD veS
Curse-warfare has definitely begun. PK

Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw
When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Mellota. TKW

DaH petagh!
[Begin now! (untranslated)] (ENT "Affliction")

Also:

HQ 12.2:9:  To begin to sing a song is to {lIH} (literally, "introduce") the song...

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level