tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 12:21:30 2009

Re: Cogito ergo sum (was RE: Numbers with pronouns)

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:51, Mark J. Reed <[email protected]> wrote:

> True, but I think it would get tiresome to have -lu' on basically
> every verb in the soliloquy until the end when Hamlet finally refers
> to himself.

Well, it might be tiresome, but if the grammar calls for it...
Putting -ed on the end of a bunch of English verbs might be tiresome,
too, but if the stuff happened in the past...

> Third person works, though I agree it would be better
> with an antecedent established at the beginning (which there isn't
> since {taH pagh taHbe'} is the first line).

Well, the thing is, the non-finite form of the English doesn't *allow*
an antecedent.  I imagine the following conversation: