tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 06:58:15 2009

RE: "Authentic" Klingon materials

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> puH DunDaq *'alIS* ... How to convey "adventure"?  Since it's in the
>> TMP tagline I'm a bit surprised it's not in TKD.

Michael Everson:
>Qu', perhaps? Or Hoq.

{Qu'} "quest, mission, task, operation, duty"
{Hoq} "expedition"

{ta'} "deed, accomplishment"

  ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun
  Great deeds, great songs. TKW

KGT 70-71:  Warriors have long celebrated great achievements and key events in song, reinforcing the importance of the accomplishments and actually reliving them while singing. Great deeds are "deeds worthy of song," as the Klingon leader Gowron once put it, and part of the appeal of engaging in battle is the prospect that, if the battle is a really good one, it will be fought over and over again in song.

{tuH} "adventure"

KGT 48:  The noun {tuH} refers to a military maneuver of any kind. A specific plan or stratagem usually has a code name ({per yuD} [literally, "dishonest label"]) coined especially for the occasion and not necessarily used again.

In SkyBox card 01 (S99), Okrand finessed the word in his translation of the English original text:

Qu'
The Mission

loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.  vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.  veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.

It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions of the universe, space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space--the final frontier.  (CARD 01)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level