tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 13:08:57 2008

RE: A fun application of the "prefix trick"

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:
> In my lyrics to {lurDech}, I wanted to translate the phrase "Mother
> teaches me to manage the house". The verb {ghojmoH} immediately suggested
> itself, but how to use it, given that we never reached concensus on what
> it's direct object would be: the subject(lesson) or the person taught the
> subject, or what role the person taught would take on if it wasn't the
> object?  So, I settled on {juH vIvu'meH mughojmoH SoS}.

As opposed to the problematic ?{juH vIvu' 'e' mughojmoH SoS} "I manage the house. Mother teaches me that."

This may be in the nature of {moH}'ed verbs.  I searched my notes and was surprised to find that there are NO examples of a sentence-as-object using a {moH}'ed verb.  For that matter, I can't think of any examples of a sentence-as-object together with the prefix trick, can you?

> I thought I was pretty clever ;)

A good work-around.  In the KliWiki article on the "prefix trick" (/wiki/index.php?verb%20prefix%20trick ), there's an example of a purpose clause similarly used:

  cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
  Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

so the idea is certainly "kosher".  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons