tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 08:24:29 2008

RE: Help with a project

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Wed, 9/10/08, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Voragh:
> >> And let's not forget {chu'} "play (a
> musical instrument)":
> >> (...) Thus {Supghew chu'wI'} could be a
> "fiddle player".
>
> ter'eS:
> > I just think {chu'} is kind of over-used.
>
> It is, but it often is the right word nevertheless.
>
> "Play" in English is also used fairly widely and
> in many different idioms -- as is *tocar* in Spanish,
> *igrat'* in Russian, *shpiln* in Yiddish, *spielen* in
> German (IIRC), etc.  (It must be something about having a
> general or generic verb vs. specific verbs for particular
> types of playing/instruments.)

Well, the original play uses the word "fiddler", which is derived from one of the weirdest music-related words in English. "To fiddle" refers to all the actions involved in playing a single type of instrument, and pretty much only to that (you can fiddle with your buttons, but it's not the same thing at all). Talk about specific! I can't think of another word like it, except "to drum", which describes a much simpler action and one extendable to lots of non-musical settings.

> > Besides, what if someone thought the play was
> "The Newbie on the Roof?"
>
> There'll be many Klingon speakers in the audience,
> then?  <g>

One can only hope!

> --
> Voragh