tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 07:33:38 2008

RE: Help with a project

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> And let's not forget {chu'} "play (a musical instrument)":
>> (...) Thus {Supghew chu'wI'} could be a "fiddle player".

ter'eS:
> I just think {chu'} is kind of over-used.

It is, but it often is the right word nevertheless.

"Play" in English is also used fairly widely and in many different idioms -- as is *tocar* in Spanish, *igrat'* in Russian, *shpiln* in Yiddish, *spielen* in German (IIRC), etc.  (It must be something about having a general or generic verb vs. specific verbs for particular types of playing/instruments.)

> Besides, what if someone thought the play was "The Newbie on the Roof?"

There'll be many Klingon speakers in the audience, then?  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level