tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 08:20:18 2008

RE: Help with a project

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Wed, 9/10/08, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> The closest word I could find for play with a bow is {moq}
> "beat (something with an implement)":

I'm guessing you don't play the violin! 8+)

> Another verb which could refer to the back-and-forth motion
> of the bow is {tey} "scrape".  A bow would then be
> a {teywI'} (usually "file"; literally,
> "scraper").

"Scrape" only if you're referring to how it sounds when _I_ try to play the violin.

Maybe they use {DIj}, the verb that refers to the blade of a sword sliding along the blade of another (which could in itself produce a kind of pleasant ringing sound, easily extended to the idea of sliding a bow along strings).

But I'm inclined to think they just don't have bowed instruments at all, or else Okrand would have mentioned them in KGT. Bowing might not fit the Klingon mindset, not being forceful enough. We know that they can pluck or strum or blow into or beat on their instruments, all of which involve an active, percussive movement.  The gentler movement of drawing a bow across a string might just seem too effete for them!

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level