tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 08:00:17 2008

RE: Help with a project

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:
> I'm not aware of any Klingon bowed stringed instruments, or any word for
> playing one.  Apparently they only pluck or strum them.  BTW, from my own
> musical experience, I would think that {Heng} refers to placing your
> fingers on the strings to set up certain notes, and {yach} and {pang}
> refer to moving the strings in order to produce that note. For example, on
> a guitar, your left hand {Heng}s the strings while your right hand
> {yach]es or {pang}s them.

The closest word I could find for play with a bow is {moq} "beat (something with an implement)":

KGT 69:  The verb {moq} literally means "beat" and it is a clipped form of, perhaps, {vImoq} ("I beat it") or even {vImoqpu'} ("I have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a drum) with a stick to indicate the start of the duel; today, one simply says the word "beat".

KGT 74f.:  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. [...] Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind. Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind. The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it does, it is termed {mupwI'Hom} (literally, "small striker"). A plain stick is a {naQHom} (literally, "small cane" or "small staff"). To strike the instrument with a stick is to {moq} ("beat") the instrument.

... and the bow would be type of {naQHom}.

Another verb which could refer to the back-and-forth motion of the bow is {tey} "scrape".  A bow would then be a {teywI'} (usually "file"; literally, "scraper").

Klingons might well focus on the action or motion itself rather than the music produced.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level