tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 04 10:29:54 2008

Re: A stupid translation request

[email protected] wrote:
> I got a request to translate "Stupidity is stupidity and there is no
> pill to help".

> valHa'ghachvaD tu'lu'be' qa'meH vIttlhegh.

I can't follow this. "One does not find [something] for uncleverness,
replacement proverb." I think you meant {valHa'ghachvaD qa'meH vIttlhegh
tu'lu'be'} "There is no replacement proverb for uncleverness."

> This was before I remembered QIp.
>
> I don't like using -ghach (big surprise), but using it (on either
> verb) would tend to mark it in a way to show that their "stupidity"
> is of a special kind and not able to be 'fixed'.

No it wouldn't. {-ghach} only marks a word when there's no intervening
suffix between the verb and itself, and it only marks it as
ungrammatical because it's making a special point through that bad
grammar. {valHa'ghach} is a perfectly valid, unmarked word.

However, a better way to express this idea is:

    QIplu'chugh QIpqu'lu'; vorlaHbe' Hergh.

--
SuStel
Stardate 8927.4