tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 04 09:34:06 2008

RE: A stupid translation request

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
>I got a request to translate "Stupidity is stupidity and there is no pill
>to help". I'll note that while I was pondering it, I mis-remembered it as
>"... no pill for it." [...] After some thought, I came up with this:
>
>  valHa'ghachvaD tu'lu'be' qa'meH vIttlhegh.
>
>I don't like using -ghach (big surprise), but using it (on either verb)
>would tend to mark it in a way to show that their "stupidity" is of a
>special kind and not able to be 'fixed'.
>
>This was before I remembered QIp.

Don't forget {Dogh} "be foolish, be silly".  If you don't like {-ghach} nouns, try using {-wI'}:  {QIpwI'}, {DoghwI'}.

But sometimes {-ghach} works best.  {QIptaHghach} is perfect for the abstract noun "(ongoing) stupidity":

  QIptaHghach vor(laH)be' Hergh.
  Medicine doesn't (can't) cure stupidity.

  QIptaHghach vor(laH) pagh Hergh.
  No medicine (can) cures stupidity.

A somewhat more Klingon approach might be to use {qoH} "fool" instead.  Klingons have several sayings about fools, all negative.  The most relevant WRT your translation request are:

  qoH vuvbe' SuS
  The wind does not respect a fool. TKW

  Hegh neH chav qoH
  A fool's only achievement is death. TKW