tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 19 15:47:49 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

QanqorvaD ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI', ja':
>Any noun in the sentence indicating something *other
>than subject or object* comes first, before the object noun.
>Such nouns usually end in a Type 5 noun suffix (section
>3.3.5). (emphasis added)
> So by definition, any "header" noun cannot be the subject.  QED.

By this definition, any header noun also cannot be the object. But from the addendum (p. 180), we know that is not the case. If Okrand's phrase "something other than subject or object" is interpreted as "something other than grammatical subject or object", though, for me the contradiction between the addendum and the body of TKD disappears, since I (and SuStel, evidently) don't view {HaqwI''e'} in the sentence {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam} as a grammatical direct object, but as a grammatical topic, and the antecedent of the pronoun of the pronominal prefix {yI-}, which is the true grammatical object. This is how I interpret the TKD citation above; the possibility of also using the topic as the antecedent to a *subject* pronoun is a consequence of that interpretation.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Roast a Rock Star: watch video interviews with hot music acts
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=809&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roastarockstar

Back to archive top level