tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 16 06:34:12 2007

Re: Positioning for emphasis

Lieven Litaer wrote:

>>> How would you go about translating {puq'e' yaS qIp ghaH}, then?
>
> I repeat: The SUBJECT comes at the END of the sentence, that's why I
> would read "s/he hits the officer" and then "the child" is flying
> around somewhere after the sentence.

The answer is simple: {puq'e'} is not the subject of the sentence. It is
the topic. Topics, as well as locatives, from-phrases, beneficiaries,
timestamps, and adverbials, come before the object.

{ghaH} is the subject. That {puq'e'} is the antecedent of {ghaH} is
unimportant. This sentence is not ungrammatical.

SuStel
Stardate 7708.5

Back to archive top level