tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 13 12:32:15 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 27, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>po'mIn:
> > Dogbert: "That's the entrance to the executive suite."
> > Doqbot:  {pa'Daq mIwwI' pa'mey 'ellu'.}
> >   [...]
> > I intended to use {vu'wI' pa'may}, "manager's room".  Somehow I mixed
> > up the two words.

Voragh:
>*{'elmeH vaS}??  I haven't seen the cartoon, but are you using the right
>word?  I would say a {vaS} is MUCH larger than a {pa'} "room, quarters,
>compartment".
>
>{vaS} "hall, assembly hall" and {vaS'a'} "Great Hall" are types of large
>buildings {qach}.  (The Congress and Parliament buildings in Washington DC
>and London respectively, would probably both be called a {yejquv vaS'a'}
>"Great Hall of the High Council" by Klingons.)  Don't confuse this with
>{chob} "corridor" - i.e. a hallway - defined nicely on the ST:Continuum
>Klingon Linguistic Studies site as "a gallery or passageway leading to or
>connecting several compartments of a building or ship."  On the BoP Poster,
>{chob'a'} was the ship's "main corridor".

To add to the whole {pa'} vs. {vaS} issue, also consider {yaH} "duty
station".  I just remembered this bit from the Star Trek: Communicator
special Klingon issue:

   Qu' vu'wI' yaH
   Mission Ops

{Qu' vu'wI'} would be an "mission/operations officer" as distinguished from
the {ya} "tactical officer".  IIRC in the Navy we called this guy the Ops Boss.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level