tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 13 07:53:19 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 27, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

po'mIn:
> >> Dogbert: "That's the entrance to the executive suite."
> >> Doqbot:  {pa'Daq mIwwI' pa'mey 'ellu'.}

Voragh:
> > I don't understand this sentence at all.  *{mIwwI'}??  {mIw} is "procedure,
> > a process" (n.)

po'mIn:
>I intended to use {vu'wI' pa'may}, "manager's room".  Somehow I mixed
>up the two words.

Voragh:
> > If you're talking about a separate entry hall or foyer, how about *{'elmeH
> > pa'}?   Or instead of fussing about with {'el} "enter, go in" why not just
> > use {lojmIt} "door"?

po'mIn:
>Then I would use *{'elmeH vaS}.
>     vu'wI'mey pa' 'elmeH vaS 'oH.
>     It is the hall to enter the room of managers.

N.B. suffix:  {vu'wI'pu'} - managers are people.  You could safely omit the
plural suffix here if you wanted.

*{'elmeH vaS}??  I haven't seen the cartoon, but are you using the right
word?  I would say a {vaS} is MUCH larger than a {pa'} "room, quarters,
compartment".

{vaS} "hall, assembly hall" and {vaS'a'} "Great Hall" are types of large
buildings {qach}.  (The Congress and Parliament buildings in Washington DC
and London respectively, would probably both be called a {yejquv vaS'a'}
"Great Hall of the High Council" by Klingons.)  Don't confuse this with
{chob} "corridor" - i.e. a hallway - defined nicely on the ST:Continuum
Klingon Linguistic Studies site as "a gallery or passageway leading to or
connecting several compartments of a building or ship."  On the BoP Poster,
{chob'a'} was the ship's "main corridor".

And speaking of corridors, hallways and tunnels {'och}, there's some
specialized vocabulary FYI:

   For the end of a longish enclosed space that one is typically inside of
   or experiences from the inside, such as a corridor, tunnel, or conduit
   (say, a Jeffries tube or a branch of the sewers of Paris), a different
   word is used: {qa'rI'}. This is the only word; it's used for both (or
   all) ends. The open entryway leading into such a space is called a {DIn}.
   If there's a door there, it's referred to by the usual word for door,
   {lojmIt}.  [HolQeD 12.2:7]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons