tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 12 10:55:20 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 27, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 06:08 PM Tuesday 9/11/2007, po'mIn wrote:

>     Dogbert: "Now that I have purchased your company's goodwill, I plan
> to make
>         some changes."
>     Doqbot:  {DaH weylI' malja' quv vIje'pu'mo', vay' choHmey vItaghmoH
>         'e' vInab.}

{vay' choHmey} "(a specific) something's changes"
{'op choHmey}  "some (an unspecified quantity) changes"

Also consider {lIS} "adjust".  E.g.:

   choH lISbogh Hap'e':  cha'pujqut
   Reaction Moderating Element - Crystalline Dilithium (KBoP)

>     Dogbert: "I redesigned your headquarters building."
>     Doqbot: {yejquv vaS'a'lIj vI'oghqa'pu'.}

Their HQ is that grand?  why not just {qach} "building, structure"?

Also, consider {ra'ghomquv} instead of {yejquv} "High Council":

   The official Klingon {QI'} is the Klingon Defense Force, or {tlhIngan
   Hubbeq}, which is run by the Klingon High Command, or {tlhIngan ra'ghomquv}
   [...] The highest military officer, the head of the Klingon High Command,
   is the {la'quv}, usually translated Supreme Commander. (KGT 51-2)

{ra'ghomquv} would work for Board of Directors, and {la'quv} for CEO.

>     Big Boss: "What's this part that looks like a horse's rump?"
>     pIn'a':   {nuq 'oH 'ay'vam'e'?  Ha'DIbaH Sa'Hut rur.}

   A Klingon *sark* ({Sargh}) is an animal somewhat resembling a Terran horse,
   both in appearance and in that Klingons (generally individually) often ride
   on the animal's back. (KGT 111)

If you want to translate it literally as one sentence:

   nuq 'oH Sargh Sa'Hut rurbogh 'ay'vam'e'?
   What's this part that looks like a sark's rump?

>     Dogbert: "That's the entrance to the executive suite."
>     Doqbot:  {pa'Daq mIwwI' pa'mey 'ellu'.}

I don't understand this sentence at all.  *{mIwwI'}??  {mIw} is "procedure,
a process" (n.)

If you're talking about a separate entry hall or foyer, how about *{'elmeH
pa'}?   Or instead of fussing about with {'el} "enter, go in" why not just
use {lojmIt} "door"?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons