tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 09:08:00 2007

Re: Klingon words from _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (DI)

naHQun ([email protected])

I don't think this went through the first time, lets try it again

> > > Voragh:
> > >
> > > These bland descriptive names may be explained in the novel.  Has anyone
> > > read it?  (I haven't.)
> > >

> >naHQun:
> > paqvam vIlaD.
> > 'ach mu'meyvam Delbe' qonwI'.

 As it turns out, I hadn't read it. But I just finished it last night.

 And no, HuDyuQ is not explained in the book. They don't even mention
 the mountains. taD is where most of the novel takes place (either on
 the planet, or orbeting it) and it's a cold, frozen planet mostly
inhospitable to Klingons.

 I did come across the following love poem on page 142:

 'arlogh
 nga'chuq *Leskit QongDaqDaq
 je' *Leskit
 *Kurak *Leskit nItebHa'
*Leskit malrachal ngech
 tagh nga'chuq
 yIQ
 nga'chuq
 'arlogh
 Do'Ha' *Leskit
 lo'laHbe'ghach *Leskit

 (Leskit is the male pursuing Kurak)

 No translation is given in the novel, however it does go on to say:

 "My son wrote it [...] He's two, and there's a three-year-old he wants
 desperately to impress [...] I can only hope that he'll learn to
 spell..."

 At the end of the novel, under "Acknowledgments" it says:

 Helpful people include Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen and his cronies at the
 Klingon Language Institute and the aformentioned Marc Okrand, who kept
 my linguistics straight and vetted the glossary

 That's all I felt was worth pointing out, unless someone else had a
 question before the book goes back to the library.

 ~naHQun

http://www.myspace.com/naHQun
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/

Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any
taste in the white of an egg?
Job 6:6

Back to archive top level