tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 28 09:17:25 2007

Now and then?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

This morning I passed a sign outside a Unitarian church advertising the
next sermon:  "Voyages: now and then".  (Unfortunately I can't tell you
what kind of voyages they're actually talking about.)  Like a lot of us, I
tried translating this into Klingon and immediately saw the
problem:  Whenever two adverbials occur in a clause they usually just
follow each other at the beginning, but "now" and "then" more or less
contradict each other.  What conjugation, if any, can I use here?

Use {'ej} to link implied but omitted clauses:

   lengmey:  DaH 'ej ngugh

Use {'ej} to link two short clauses:

   DaH maleng 'ej ngugh maleng

Use {je} to link the words (i.e. as vocabulary items):

   lengmey:  DaH ngugh je

No conjugation.  Use punctuation:

   lengmey:  DaH, ngugh

   DaH, ngugh:  lengmey

No conjugation.  Rephrase repeating the noun (punctuate to taste):

   DaH lengmey, ngugh lengmey
   lengmey: DaH - lengmey: ngugh
   "voyages now, voyages then"

No conjugation.  Rephrase repeating a verb phrase:

   DaH maleng, ngugh maleng

Ideas?  Remember this is a title so it should be brief, pithy and
suggestive - or at least intriguing.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons