tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 28 21:47:08 2007

Re: Now and then?

Qang qu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 28, 2007 11:13 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> This morning I passed a sign outside a Unitarian church advertising the
> next sermon:  "Voyages: now and then".  (Unfortunately I can't tell you
> what kind of voyages they're actually talking about.)  Like a lot of us, I
> tried translating this into Klingon and immediately saw the
> problem:  Whenever two adverbials occur in a clause they usually just
> follow each other at the beginning, but "now" and "then" more or less
> contradict each other.  What conjugation, if any, can I use here?

[...]

> No conjugation.  Rephrase repeating a verb phrase:
>
>   DaH maleng, ngugh maleng

chaq:

maleng: malengtaH 'ej malengpu'

The verb approach loses (or at least doesn't necessarily convey) the plural
sense that I have in the original as: "Voyages in the present, voyages in
the past".

Obviously, this doesn't do anything with regards to your adverbial /
conjugation question.

I'll add that I, too saw {ghunchu'wI'}'s interpretation when I first read
your post and thought the sign to be ambiguous between the two possible
meanings.

--
Qang qu'wI'

Back to archive top level