tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 16 07:31:02 2007

Re: suffixes on adjectival verbs

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qang qu'wI' wrote:
>Well, I'm getting back into tlhIngan Hol after a long break, and I
>just read something in TKD that surprised me.  It states pretty
>clearly that only {-qu'} can be used on verbs used adjectivally.
>Until reading that, I likely would have used {-be'} as well without
>thinking about it.  Does TKD have the final word regarding using only
>{-qu'}, or is there any subsequent canon that amends TKD to also allow
>{-be'}?

Here's TKD's (somewhat edited) description of {-be'}:

   This is the general suffix of negation, translated as English "not".
   It follows the concept being negated. ... {qay'be'} "it's not a
   problem, no problem" (exclamation) ... The suffix {-be'} cannot be
   used with imperative verbs... [{-Qo}'] is used in imperatives and
   to denote refusal.    [TKD 46f.]

Note the example provided:  {qay'be'} ("{qay'} "be a problem" + {-be'}
negation).  More examples of {-be'} on qualities (adjectival verbs) from
canon show this wasn't an error:

   bIlughbe'
   You are wrong. TKD

   wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'
   ten useless tribbles. CK

   jIDoy'be'
   I am not tired! PK

   tera'ngan motlhbe' SoH
   You are an unusual Terran. PK

   yIntaHvIS qIrq DuHbe' roj
   There will be no peace as long as Kirk lives. (ST5 notes)

   'utbe' bel
   Pleasure is nonessential. TKW

   nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
   Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)

   HoD QaQbe' ghaH; reH to'waQ yIv
   He/she is not a good captain; he/she always "chews ligament". KGT

   taQ pagh taQbe'
   To be weird or not to be weird. KGT

   QuchlIj vIl law'be' QuchwIj vIl puSbe'
   your forehead isn't ridgier than my forehead (HQ 13.1:10)

It's likely that Okrand considered {-be'} such an obviously useful and
common suffix that he forgot that he had inadvertently disallowed it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level