tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 17 09:13:20 2007

Re: suffixes on adjectival verbs

Qang qu'wI' ([email protected])

On 11/16/07, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's likely that Okrand considered {-be'} such an obviously useful and
> common suffix that he forgot that he had inadvertently disallowed it.

maj. qatlho'qu'.

This is not 100% what I wanted to hear, but it'll do (I think).  Looking
through the list that you provided, I think the only true counter-example
is:

  wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'
  ten useless tribbles. CK

For reasons unknown to me, my tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom has {motlhbe'} as it's
own entry, so this one isn't really a strong counter-example:

  tera'ngan motlhbe' SoH
  You are an unusual Terran. PK

The section I was referring to in TKD was specifically discussing the
quality verb when used following a noun, so I don't think that rest apply.

I guess, the counter examples seem pretty weak compared to how strong the
TKD passage is, but I suspect your explanation is correct.

Back to archive top level