tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 16 07:40:15 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: nav HablI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, November 16, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   nav HablI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     facsimile, fax
>Source: HQ (5:2 p20)

Mark Mandel tells the story:

HQ 5.2:20:  After we (Dragon Systems) recorded the "native speakers" to
make the acoustic models to build the speech recognition for the Language
Lab on the Klingon CD-ROM, I got the idea of sending each speaker a formal
thank-you letter. I translated our company letterhead into Klingon and,
using the KLIpIqaD font, scissors, tape, and a color copier, made a bunch
of Dragon Systems stationery with Klingon in {pIqaD} at the top and
transliterated Klingon and English in small type at the bottom. But since
this was associated with an official Klingon product, I wanted to be sure
my Klingon was correct. I had been working with Marc Okrand by phone and
e-mail during the project, and so I sent him the text of my transliterated
Klingon letterhead, asking especially about my word for "fax", which at the
time was a compound word with no space. He wrote back, approximately, that
he liked the idea, but he would prefer to express it as a two-word phrase,
{nav HablI'}; and he also suggested the corresponding {ghogh HablI'} for
"telephone". [...] Since my office is in a different building from the
company reception desk I prefer to give people the number of the fax
machine closest to my desk. I put both numbers on the letterhead, labeling
them in English "Klingon fax" and "general fax". Dr. Okrand suggested
{le'be'} for "general", and so of course that's what I used.

Related words:

{HablI'}              data transceiving device (TKD)
{ghogh HablI'}        telephone (HQ 5:2)
{nav HablI'}          FAX [machine] (HQ 5:2)
{'evnagh Se' HablI'}  subspace radio [i.e. the device] (KBoP)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level