tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 08 10:00:28 2007

Re: wIqIpeDIya'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >Alpha Omicron wrote:
> >>  wIqIpeDIya'Daq tlhIngan Hol De' nav ghItlhtaH jIH latlhpu' puS je.
> >
> > "I and a few others (i.e. we) are writing the web page"
> > prefix:  {nav wIghItlhtaH jIH latlhpu' puS je}
> >
> >>  vIghItlhchugh neH vaj Dubbe' De' navvetlh.
> >
> > I would repeat {jIH} for emphasis, especially with {neH}:
> >
> >    vIghItlhchugh jIH neH vaj Dubbe' De' navvetlh.
> >
> > You might even add {-bej}, {-ba'} or {-law'} to {Dub} depending on how
> > strongly you feel about it.

Alpha Omicron:
>Thanks for the vocab/style help. Though it seems I miscommunicated
>myself (not hard when learning a language!); I meant that I and a ferw
>others were the writers of the page "Klingon language" at the English
>Wikipedia, and that it could use the input of some of the KLI members.

I understood you perfectly, I was just making a couple of minor
suggestions.  Personally, I still make occasional errors with the verb
prefixes if I'm not careful!

Voragh:
> > Vocabulary:  Since you're talking about an encyclopedia entry, consider
> > {gher} "formulate, compile, put together" or possibly {qon} "record,
> > compose" instead of {ghItlh}.

Quvar:
>Another vocabulary to mention is the word {ghItlh} which means
>"manuscript". That is the word used on *wIqIpe'DIya* for the meaning of
>"article".

Bien sur, pour faute des mieux.

   ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'
   Will you read my manuscript?  (TKD)

>I believe this is more appropriate than {nav}, which means "paper" (which
>I understand more like a piece of paper, a sheet, or even the general word
>for "paper, material")

You're probably correct, although (as usual!) Okrand has never used it in a
sentence.  Okrand did approve {nav HablI'} for "FAX (machine)" as related
by Mark Mandel in HolQeD 5.2:20:

     After we (Dragon Systems) recorded the "native speakers" to make the
   acoustic models to build the speech recognition for the Language Lab
   on the Klingon CD-ROM, I got the idea of sending each speaker a formal
   thank-you letter. I translated our company letterhead into Klingon and,
   using the KLIpIqaD font, scissors, tape, and a color copier, made a
   bunch of Dragon Systems stationery with Klingon in {pIqaD} at the top
   and transliterated Klingon and English in small type at the bottom.
   But since this was associated with an official Klingon product, I
   wanted to be sure my Klingon was correct.
     I had been working with Marc Okrand by phone and e-mail during the
   project, and so I sent him the text of my transliterated Klingon
   letterhead, asking especially about my word for "fax", which at the
   time was a compound word with no space. He wrote back, approximately,
   that he liked the idea, but he would prefer to express it as a two-word
   phrase, {nav HablI'}; and he also suggested the corresponding {ghogh
   HablI'} for "telephone".

We know that Klingons still use paper in the 24th century, at least for
ceremonial or ritual purposes.  Worf gave a bound paper copy of "The Dream
of the Fire" (a famous Klingon novel by K'ratak) to Data as a going-away
present in TNG "Measure of a Man".  Qua'lon gave Pok a leather-bound paper
(?) copy of the score of {qul tuq} ("House of Fire", a popular Klingon
opera telling the tale of the House of SepIch) as his {cha'nob} gift in KCD.

{nav} has long been used by some people for "page" (i.e. in a book) and, by
extension, for a web "page".  Others prefer {Daq} "site, location" for the
latter however.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons