tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 24 11:09:23 2007

RE: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 24, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 12:54 PM Wednesday 1/24/2007, you wrote:
> >   loHwI' mupwI' tIH rur ghIchlIj
> >   your nose is like the handle of a gavel ("magistrate's hammer")

DloraH:
>or ret'aq - handle, hilt of knife, bat'leth

   The part of a weapon with ornamentation, such as the handle
   ({ret'aq}) of a knife, is usually decorated by means of carving
   ... Sometimes extra ornamentation, carved of a different material,
   is attached. This would typically be the case with a family crest
   ({tuq Degh}). (KGT 80)

>or DeS - handle, ax handle

   The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and
   its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when refer-
   ring to humanoid anatomy, mean "arm" and "open, flat hand" (as
   opposed to a fist), respectively, suggesting that at one time the
   ax was considered an extension of the warrior himself. (KGT 63)

Considering the shape of a Terran gavel, {DeS} seems a better fit.  I did
consider {ret'aq} but wondered whether it refers only to bladed weapons.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level