tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 24 10:09:46 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 24, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:
>'alIS: {tIH rur ghIchlIj tIq 'e' Duja''a' vay'?}
>Alice: "Has anyone ever told you that your snout is like
>         the handle of a gavel?"
>
>nov:   {Dochvetlh nuq?}
>alien: "A what?"
>
>'alIS: {bo'DIjDaq SoHtaHvIS pejatlhQo'! *bam* *bam* *bam*}
>Alice: "Order in the court! *bam* *bam* *bam*"
>
>There's no word for gavel.  I gathered on [Memory Alpha][2] that a
>Klingon gavel is spear-shaped, so I translated it to {tIH} "shaft".
>
>  [2]:http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Judgment

Not spear-shaped, but sphere-shaped.  Read the Memory Alpha page again:

   This episode features several, obviously intentional, parallels
   to "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country": the captain of the
   Enterprise being tried in a Klingon court for crimes against the
   Empire, the appearance of the courtroom, the judge's talon-like
   glove and SPHERE-SHAPED GAVEL ...

In ST5 the judge's gavel was a sort of metal sphere/ball {moQ} held in a
heavy talon-like glove {pogh} which sparked dramatically when the
judge/magistrate {loHwI'} (lit. "administrator") pounded it.  I'm not sure
whether it was attached to the glove, but IIRC the judge only wore one
glove with his hooded cloak of office.  But since it's a sphere, it doesn't
look like the alien's snout -- but Alice of course wouldn't know what
Klingon gavels look like.

The simplest fix is to call it a Terran {tera'ngan} or Federation {DIvI'}
gavel or a judge's gavel or, better still, just a gavel.  For that, use
{mupwI'} "hammer", derived from the verb {mup} "impact, strike".  Since
this says nothing about its shape, {mupwI'} may very well be the word for a
judge's gavel - especially since hammers have symbolic meaning:

   the hammer is a symbol of power to Klingons (TKW 120)

   for a Klingon, a hammer is a symbol of power. The phrase
   {HoSghaj; mupwI' rur} ("powerful as a hammer") is based on
   this notion." (KGT 129)]

Not surprisingly, there's even a proverb/saying about them:

   mupwI' yI'uchtaH
   Keep holding the hammer! TKW
   "... this exhortation is really saying to maintain power once
    it is achieved."  {TKW 120)

So, all together:

   loHwI' mupwI' tIH rur ghIchlIj
   your nose is like the handle of a gavel ("magistrate's hammer")

I think {ghIch} "nose" is fine by itself.  Animals have snouts, people have
noses.  {ghIch tIq} "long nose" doesn't really render the implied
insult/insensitivity.

   bo'DIjDaq petamchoH!  *moq* *moq* *moq*
   Order (Silence) in the court!  *bam* *bam* *bam*

Personally, I like {tamchoH} "become quiet/silent" over {jatlhQo'} "don't
talk".  It's more direct and  more Klingon. YMMV.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level