tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 17:17:23 2007

Re: mung Hol

In a message dated 1/16/2007 12:55:00 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> You all now wikipedia... users can indicate their language level, for
> instance english
> 0 "This user speaks no english"
> 1 "This user speaks a little english"
> 2 "This user speaks advanced english"
> 3 "This user is a native english speaker"
>
> So far this is no problem to translate this to klingon, although nobody is a
> native klingon here, but who cares.
> But in wikipedia, you can click on the word "english" to see an explanation
> what "english" is. You can also click on "native" to see what a "native
> language" is.
>
> Now how you render *THAT* to klingon?
> That's my question.
> (I still prefer the Hol wa'DIch, as long as we have nothing else.)

Something else to consider is that being a native speaker of a language, even
if it's your only language, doesn't make you an expert on that language.
The rating system that the U.S. government uses is a scale from 0 (no useful
ability) to 5 (expert use of the language skill in all contexts).  Most native
speakers of English are level 3 or 3+ (better than 3, but not a 4).  Each of
the four skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) gets its own
evaluation.
Non-natives can achieve level 5, but it's very rare (partly because most
people of this ability don't have their skill evaluated this way).

So the highest skill level for a language might be {Hol laH pup} - perfect
language ability.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level