tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 11:32:24 2007

Re: RE: mung Hol

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar wrote:
>You all now wikipedia... users can indicate their language level, for
>instance english
>
>   0 "This user speaks no english"

pagh DIvI' Hol jatlh lo'wI'vam.

>   1 "This user speaks a little english"

loQ DIvI' Hol jatlh lo'wI'vam.

>   2 "This user speaks advanced english"

DIvI' Hol jatlhqu' lo'wI'vam.

>   3 "This user is a native english speaker"

DIvI' Hol jatlhchu' lo'wI'vam.

>So far this is no problem to translate this to klingon, although nobody is
>a native klingon here, but who cares.

You're right.  These are simple to translate with the series {pagh}, {loQ},
{-qu'} and {-chu'}.  I don't really see anything wrong with {Sung Hol}:

   DIvI' Hol 'oH lo'wI'vam Sung Hol'e'.
   This user's native language is English.

OTOH {Sung} has never been used in canon, so we can't say anything about
how it's used.

>But in wikipedia, you can click on the word "english" to see an
>explanation what "english" is. You can also click on "native" to see what
>a "native language" is.  Now how you render *THAT* to klingon?  That's my
>question.  (I still prefer the Hol wa'DIch, as long as we have nothing else.)

I like it too, but one's first language is not necessarily one's native
language (one's "mother tongue" if you prefer:  e.g. the language spoken by
you and your immigrant family at home, which may not be the language you
speak "like a native" on the streets in a new country).  Presumably
Wikipedia doesn't care about these fine distinctions, but is only
interested in whether you speak the language like a native - i.e. no
grammatical mistakes, perfect fluency WRT idioms and slang, no unusual
choices of words, perfect pronunciation, perfect intonation, no discernible
"foreign" accent - for the benefit of others learning the language.  As far
as Klingon is concerned, "like a native" may be the way to go:

   tlhIngan Hol jatlhchu' lo'wI'vam;  Sung rur.
   This user speaks Klingon perfectly; s/he resembles a native.

As a private joke for KLingonists, we could also say {matlh rur} "like
Maltz" - the only "native" (Okrandian) Klingon speaker there is.  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level