tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 18 06:09:08 2007

RE: pronouns

Elizabeth Lawrence ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

My problem with type four may be very much an english-speaker problem, but
barring caanon that gives me another interpretation, I have to understand
'oHwIj as either "my it" or "it is mine".  In the first interpretation it
could be exprerssed with the perfectly legal Dochwij "my thing", and in the
second you are using pronoun-as-to be and therefore cannot use a noun
suffix. "My it," though comprehensible in english, is not precisely correct,
and until I know that it is the proper interpretation I have major
reservations.  In the case of 'oHvam and 'oHvetlh, I again think it should
be Dochvam and Dochvetlh, and for the same reasons.  "This it" is not as
correct as "this thing."

With type three, the only uses I can think of are things like "You're really
here!" and "Is that you?" I could phrase the second as SoHHey tu'lu''a', but
for the first and every other example I've thought of, the pronoun is used
as "to be" and the sentance is invalid.

I suppose you could work 'scattered' out of type two, but "hims" just sounds
bad to me.

I simply can't figure out what a typpe one would mean.  What is a SoHHom?

-be''etlh

>From: "DloraH" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Subject: RE: pronouns
>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:01:47 -0600
>
> > Is there canon about the use of noun suffixes on pronouns?
> > Most would be
> > illogical or nonsensical, like type 4, but some of the type
> > fives, like -vaD or -mo' would be quite useful.
>
>I don't know about canon, I'll leave that to the canon master; but as for
>"illogical or
>nonsensical"...
>
>Type 4, I could imagine such uses as 'oHwIj; and I have used and seen used
>'oHvetlh.  I can even see
>ghaHwIj, "Who's girlfriend is she?" "ghaHwIj".
>Type 3, I have used jIHqoq.
>Type 1, I could imagine them being used for some zen/philosophical
>discussion. /SoH'a'na'lI'/
>
>But type 2, 'oH, SoH, jIH, ghaH are singular; and bIH, chaH, tlhIH, maH are
>already plural.  Maybe
>someone could try that "scattered about" trick.
>

>Legal?  Don't know.
>

>DloraH

http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline

Back to archive top level