tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 18 05:45:40 2007

pronouns with noun suffixes

In a message dated 2/17/2007 5:50:45 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Is there canon about the use of noun suffixes on pronouns?  Most would be
> illogical or nonsensical, like type 4, but some of the type fives, like -vaD
> or -mo' would be quite useful.
>
> -be''etlh

I didn't find anything specifically about this in TKD beyond the following
(on page 52, 5.1. Pronouns):

  Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or
added clarity. They are not required.

but I found several canon examples of pronouns used with noun suffixes.  All
of the examples have only type-5 suffixes, and no example has {-mo'}.

{-vaD}
       card S20-4
              ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
             ...as a reminder of his heritage. [lit.: It causes to remember
(reminds) his heritage to him.] {better as: quHDaj qawmeH ghaH}

       card S27-3
             roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
             ...is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."

       tape CK188
             [kf] "I'll bring you dinner number three."
             [mo] {SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem.}

       tape PK037
             [hf] "Sell it to me now!" =
             [mo] {DaH jIHvaD yIngev.}

       Ent-109
             tH:  SoHvaD pagh vIjatlh, Human
             I have nothing to say to you, human. [lit.: I say nothing to
you, human.]

{-'e'}
       HQ199912-098
             'ach, HoD, Hev-vetlh [sic: He-vetlh] wI-ghoS-chugh veH-tIn [sic:
veH tIn] wI-'el maH-'e'.
             Vixis: But, Captain, that course will take *us* into the Barrier
as well.
             HQ v8n4p13 (referring to ST5: Scene 174

       movie ST5(TFF)-44
             'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'.
             38. Vixis: But Captain, that course will take us into the
Barrier as well.
             HQ v8n4p13 (modified)

       TKD0136
             {lujpu' jIH'e'} [sic: jIlujpu' jIH'e']
             I, and only I, have failed.|It is I who has failed.
             [TKD p.29]

{-Daq}
       KGT1 1432
             {#jIHDaq Daqang#}
             You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me | (lit.)
You pour [something] into me
             159

       tape PK109
             holiday phrase: [hf] "May the spirit of Kahless live within
you!" =
              [mo] {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj.}

       tape PK180
             [hm] "May the spirit of Kahless live within you." =
             [mo] {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj.}

       KGT1 1433
             {jIHDaq}
             in/at me
             159

{-vo'}
       tape PK005
             {chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH.}
              ["Maybe I'd like to buy something from you."]
             [untranslated dialog]

qaQaH'a'?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level