tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 11:59:44 2007

Re: KLI authorized user

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>ja' Quvar:
> > We frequently see the note "Klingon, Star Trek, and all related
> > marks are Copyrights and Trademarks of Paramount Pictures. All
> > Rights Reserved. Klingon Language Institute Authorized User."
> >
> > I just wondered, "Authorized User" of what? Only user of the word
> > "Klingon" in its name, or user of the klingon language?

ghunchu'wI':
>That legal formula states that the KLI is authorized by Paramount
>Pictures to use the specified marks ("Klingon, Star Trek, and all
>related marks") over which Paramount claims control.  It most
>obviously applies to the word "Klingon" itself.

IIRC (I don't have them with me at the moment) if you'll examine the cover
of KGT, TKW and maybe the KLI Hamlet you'll see that the words "Star Trek"
and "Klingon" are followed by the symbol for a registered trademark -
either the circled (R) or TM.  No ambiguity there.

To inject some tlhIngan Hol into the discussion, let's have another look at
the Skybox Card copyright notice for the benefit of newcomers to the list:

                  SKYBOX COPYRIGHT NOTICE (2nd-3rd seasons)
                        (Published in HolQeD 4.3:5)

   TM, (R) (c) je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-vagh Paramount Pictures.  Hoch SeH.
   Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je.
   bIH lo' SkyBox International, Inc. 'e' chaw'.

   TM, (R) c.1995 Paramount Pictures.  All rights reserved.  "Star Trek" and
   related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.  SkyBox International,
   Inc. Authorized user.

I always found it amusing that SkyBox asked Okrand to translate this
warning.  Note the word for trademark {malja' per} and the especially
relevant (or ominous?) line {Hoch SeH} "All rights reserved", literally
"[Paramount] controls everything."  From the stories I've heard from
fandom, they mean it too.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons