tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 21 13:43:03 2007

Re: Apology and continued search

Steven Boozer wrote:

> I admit that I haven't been following this and all the other related
> threads in detail, but what about:
>
>    veng vIDabbogh 'oH CHICAGO'e'.
>    Chicago is the city where I live/dwell.
>    Chicago is the city in which (wherein) I dwell/reside.
>    ("Chicago is the city that I inhabit.")
>
>    yuQ wIghoStaHbogh 'oH Qo'noS'e'.
>    Kronos is the planet where we are headed.
>    Kronos is the planet we are going to.
>    ("Kronos is the planet that we are approaching".)
>
> Of course, this only works with verbs with a "built in" locative sense --
> like {Dab} "reside in/at, dwell in/at, inhabit" or {ghoS} "follow a course,
> proceed, come toward, approach" off the top of my head.  Can anyone think
> of other such verbs?

Okrand confirmed (HolQeD 7:4) that the verbs ghoS, jaH, 'el, leng, and
paw can take locatives as their objects, but adding {-Daq} to the object
is marked because it's redundant (but legal). A locative header
indicates WHERE the action is happening, while a locative or
non-locative noun indicates the TARGET of the action.

He also comments on the verbs bav, Dech, ngaS, and vegh, saying that
they don't need {-Daq} on their objects. He doesn't say that's wrong,
just that you don't need them.

I have no doubt that {Dab} would also be one of those words that allow a
redundant locative suffix on the object, as you suggest.

SuStel
Stardate 7972.3

--
Practice the Klingon language on the tlhIngan Hol MUSH.
http://trimboli.name/klingon/mush.html

Back to archive top level