tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 17 17:25:38 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

ja' Doq:

> What we can't translate is "The torpedo hit the city where the captain
> visited his brother." If we try, we get *{vengDaq loDnI'Daj Suchbogh
> HoD qIp peng.}*

Using the understanding I have of how the "I'm lost" sentence works,
what I get is this:

{HoD loDnI' Suchpu'bogh HoD veng qIp peng}

It isn't very good, as there is no syntactic indication of where the
relative clause ends and what the head noun is.  Emphasis and/or
punctuation might help, or it might not:

{HoD loDnI' Suchpu'bogh HoD, veng qIp peng}

But I'm perfectly happy with the established custom of expressing
such complex ideas using multiple sentences:

{vengDaq HoD loDnI' Suchpu' HoD.  vengvam qIp peng.}

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level