tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 05 17:24:25 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Doq ([email protected])

I agree. Context is always good when using {-'e'}, since all you
really know is that the noun with that on it is significant in the
sentence, though its grammatical function can be varied enough as to
be mysterious.

Okay, here's a short story:

HeDaq targh ghot je legh 'avwI'.

'avwI': nuqDaq DaghoS?

ghot: ghoch vIHutlh. jIleng neH. reH lengwI' jIHtaH.

'avwI': nuqDaq ghoS targvam?

ghot: targh'e' reH maleng.

Doq

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:43 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> Doq wrote:
>
>> Actually I think it would sound better as {targh'e' maleng}.
>>
>> As for the targ, we travel.
>
> You'd need more context before that works. Without context, you don't
> really know that the targ is one of the travelers. You might be
> talking
> about a targ that you and your friends had to travel to get to, for
> instance. All you know is that "we" travel, and the targ has some
> important relation to that traveling, but there is no context to tell
> you what it is.
>
> Since I should have gone to bed an hour ago, I'm having trouble coming
> up with a contextual story to illustrate. :)
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 7926.6

Back to archive top level