tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 04 19:44:09 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Alan Anderson wrote:
> ja' SuStel:
>
>>> From: "Marc Okrand" <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>      matay' jIH molor tuq je
>>>
>>>      Sutay' SoH molor tuq je
>> Aha! This also shows that Klingon doesn't mimic the English rule of
>> putting first and second person pronouns before third person nouns and
>> pronouns in the subject. I knew we had an example of that somewhere!
>
> I don't understand.  These Klingon sentences *do* put first-person
> {jIH} and second-person {SoH} before third-person {molor tuq}.  I
> also don't recognize the English rule you're referring to.
>
> (There is a rule the other way around, saying that "he and I" is
> preferable to "I and he", but I learned it as a rule of etiquette,
> not one of grammar.)

Sorry, I got it backward. I meant to say "after," not "before."

Etiquette, grammar, whatever. I've never heard of linguistic group that
would consider "I and he are together" a well-formed sentence.

David
Stardate 7926.4

Back to archive top level