tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 04 17:46:03 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Alan Anderson wrote:

> There's no similar reinterpretation for a mismatched subject.  My
> immediate near-automatic internalization of Klingon grammar settles
> comfortably into treating the third-person subject as either first or
> second person when that's what the verb prefix indicates.  I think it
> works that way for me because the prefix comes first, and my mental
> translation from words to idea is thus primed to accept whatever
> follows as an appropriately-"personed" word.

What happens with me is this: when I hear something like *{maleng targh}
I get a very strong feeling of "Yeah? And? The targ and... who? C'mon,
finish the sentence!" I've heard the {ma-}, and I'm waiting for the
subject to be first person plural.

SuStel
Stardate 7926.2

Back to archive top level