tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 08 07:32:57 2007

Re: from-to

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I recall when Okrand came up with the idea of motion
verbs with inherent objects, and it was kind of a
mess, relating it to his previous examples.  My rule
of thumb when old information just can't be reconciled
with new is to assume that the new has superceded the
old.

-- ter'eS

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
> >   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
> >   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK
>
> Interestingly, this example seems to contradict
> Okrand's statements in HQ
> 7:4. For "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?",
> one would expect
> {naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq wIjaHlaH'a'}. As written, the
> sentence seems to mean
> "Can we go from here in the Great Hall?".
>
> >   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
> >   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon
> people from
> >   their homeworld of Kronos into space... SP1
>
> The translation "into" here also appears to
> contradict Okrand, but is
> certainly able to be interpreted with {loghDaq} as
> an ordinary locative
> header rather than as a {-Daq}-marked "direct"
> object: "while they expand
> *in* space" (i.e. while they expand the space
> holdings which they had
> already) rather than "while they expand *into*
> space" (i.e. from the surface
> of their world to space for the first time).
>
> QeS 'utlh
> tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the
> Klingon Language
> Institute
>

> not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
> (Old roads and old friends will never deceive you)
>      - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

> Advertisement: Roast a Rock Star: watch video
> interviews with hot music acts

http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=809&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roastarockstar

Back to archive top level